News:

Version 3.5 has been released. Visit https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=255 to get the most up to date version.

Main Menu
Coinbase

I'm really lost now...

Started by Fizzgig, January 14, 2007, 10:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzgig

I am using SMF 1.1.1 with the WoW-DK b (for 1.1 final) theme and smfads v2.3.

The ads don't work with the theme so I went to your tutorial on manually editing files...but some of the files in your thread are not the same as mine. Like the index.template.php in my theme folder doesn't have the body tag you wrote to look for.

Some of the other things you said to add in other files were already in those files only in a different place.

Well basically, I have no idea what to do here and I really need this installed - but I need to do it myself because I'm managing more than one forum with it.
Thanks for any help.

Also, I'm uncertain about what you mean when you say manual install...please post what exactly this means because in my opinion I did manually install it but I'm not sure if you are talking about some other way...
-Fizz

bigguy

The reason you cannot find some of the edits in your theme's files is because every template is different. If it tells you to search for the <body>'; tag try searching for just the word Body, that might help. By manual installing we mean: Install the ad mod as normal then in the theme's folder of the theme you want to use you will have to manually add the code to the files it has that the ad mod modifies during install. If some of the files that need to be modified are not in that themes folder than you do not have to worry about them as they have already been modified by the ad mod installation procedure. Hope this helps.

Fizzgig

Hi Bigguy, thanks for your reply :)

I did decide to do that with the body tag and just placed it after the usual <body> tag...I haven't finished editing files so I have no idea if this will work yet.

And now the manual install thing makes sense, thanks, I figured that's what you meant!

QuoteONLY If installing manually you will require these 2 files to be in your Sources Directory:

Ads.php
LoadAds.php

And this file to be in your theme directory:

Ads.template.php

And this file to be in your Langauge directory:

Ads.english.php

I do need to manually move these files to those folders right?  They don't appear in the WoW Dk theme folder at all.
Thanks again!
-Fizz

Fizzgig

Ok I have managed to get it to at least show *something* now, but I get the following error in place of the google adsense ads:

QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/runescape/domains/lumbridge.com/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(1724) : eval()'d code(376) : eval()'d code on line 1

And it stretches out the page. Ad is only 728x90.

???

Fizzgig

Here are my files, Bigguy. I can't express how thankful I am that you are helping me with this!
Really...I've been at it for days with no success.

I do have one other question, though.
Will I be able to use the same modified files for other forums using the same theme or does it have to be on a fresh forum? The forum in question has no other mods installed at the moment but is active with posts and such and I don't want to reset or crash anything  :o

Thanks again.
-Fizz

bigguy

Ok, try these. Backup the originals before using. (meaning don't overwrite the ones you have on your server) Try one at a time so we can tell what file the errors are in if there are any. Rename index.template(2).php to index.template.php before uploading.

Fizzgig

Ok I loaded those files and I'm getting exactly the same errors as before.
I get a stretched out page with:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/runescape/domains/lumbridge.com/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(1724) : eval()'d code(378) : eval()'d code on line 1
Along the top (where the ads are supposed to be)
And a total error on thread pages:
QuoteTemplate Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /Themes/wowdk11b/Display.template.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

You may want to try to refresh this page or use the default theme.
I get that and a code box on the thread pages.

Any ideas?
My test forum is located at forum.lumbridge.com

bigguy

Did you load them one at a time. Do they all give errors. Tale out the display.template.php and see what errors you get.

Fizzgig

Ok, I replaced the display temp. with the original and now I don't get that thread page error, but the same error at the top where the ad should be.

Fizzgig

index.template.php is causing the error at top where ads should be.
None of the other files *appear* to be causing any issues...

Fizzgig

:o
Ok I made the stupid mistake of listing my google ads as php instead of html!
I got them to show now!

But still the display template is not working (the one edited).

Also...when I put in an ad in ad management, it creates 3 duplicates...is this normal?

And I'll have to fix the background where the ad goes because it doesn't tile.

Maybe I should just use the original display.template file?

Fizzgig

I've just tested everything in Netscape and it is just completely...messed up.

It gives a scroll box there where the ads and tabs are and the page is a mile wide...just the page, not the content.
I never did figure out the display.template...that could be why...

I may just have to go back to the default because these issues, while they may be easily fixed in this mod, what about any other mods I want to put in?
It's too bad that SMF doesn't manage themes so welll...it's by far the best forum software I've ever seen!
So, not gonna throw it away!
But maybe go back to default :(

Fizzgig

I'm going to add some new files in case someone wants to help with this some more.
Bigguy, these are the files for the other forum that this is for.

I've went to the theme creator's forum to seek more help and after reading some things regarding the same mod for other themes I see this is a problematic issue all over and padexx stated how it was a pain for even him to do (and he's the theme's author!)

I don't expect anyone to fix this for me or anything but I do GRATELY appreciate help so far and future help!  :)

ltdeta

i want to use this mod too :)

I have changed the code so the mod will be installed correctly.

but i have problems showing the AD's in the wowdk look and feel

attention!
bevor the installtion works the Display.template.php was modified by deleting 1 CRLF

bigguy

@ ltdeta: what are those files for.

@ Fizzgig: Are those files edited in any way. ???

ltdeta

@bigguy
this file is the AD-Mod with changes so t will be installable for wowdk-theme

Minadude

Did anyone figure out this yet?

sorry to dig it out....but I can't seem to get my ad-mod to show any adds at all under wow-dk theme :(

help!