News:

Version 3.5 has been released. Visit https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=255 to get the most up to date version.

Main Menu
Coinbase

Which mod should I install?

Started by DorianJ, October 16, 2006, 10:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DorianJ

I'm running SMF 1.0.8.

I installed ad_mod_1-0-8_v1-0-2c.zip.

The instructions on this page http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=255 are hardly accurate.

There is no Add Ads tab. No Report tab, Edit tab, or Permissions tab. Nothing stated in the instructions is an option on my configuration screen.
-Dorian
Early Bronco Forums | 4x4

bigguy

That write up on that page is for the new ad mod. For your options look under "Features and Options" and you should see something to do with it.

DorianJ

Pardon my ignorance, but nowhere on that page is there anything that says "Features and Options" therefore your suggestion doesn't help me.

How do I even know that I've installed the correct mod? There are 10 links to different versions of that mod on that page! Why aren't they named in a conventional manner that let's people know the order in which they were released so we can download the latest one? Or at least post a release date next to the file name.

I've installed LOTS of mods for all sorts orf open-source projects, however this is the first mod I've ever installed for SMF and I gotta say I'm not too impressed with the "flow" of it.
-Dorian

bigguy

I'm talking about in your admin control panel it will say "Features and Options" Under the packages tab it should show that you have installed ad_mod_1-0-8_v1-0-2c.zip Nobody else has complained about the "flow" of it or complained about having problems finding the right version. I'm sorry your not impressed.

DorianJ

I manually installed the mod because I have the chatbubbles theme. This is a screen shot of my admin panel.

Please advise.
-Dorian

bigguy

Where it says "Write your code here" is where you put the ad code then check the boxes where you want it to display.

DorianJ

I understand that, but I want to have two ads from different campaigns. And I want my ads to appear after the 1st and 5th posts. Where is the option for that?
-Dorian

bigguy

I do believe that option is only in version 2.

DorianJ

Are you able to look at the list of downloads on this page and determine which one to install? Every mod I've ever dealt with has versions that are listed sequentially by release date and thus the latest release is eaither at the very top or the very bottom of the list and the oldest release is at the opposite end of the list. Now, since I'm running the latest version of SMF (1.0.8 ) and the very bottom of the list of Ad Management donloads list is called ad_mod_1-0-8_v1-0-2c.zip, one would assume that this is the latest version.

Is this not the case?
-Dorian

bigguy

The versions that are for the RC releases are marked:

ad_mod_rc3_v2.zip
ad_mod_rc2_v2.zip

The ones for 1.0.8 are also marked, this being the latest for 1.0.8:

ad_mod_1-0-8_v1-0-2c.zip

DorianJ

-Dorian

bigguy

Release candidate. SMF 1.0.8 is the most stable release out but SMF 1.1RC3 is the version that is out before SMF goes gold with the release of SMF 1.1

DorianJ

So please tell me:

1. Which version of SMF should I be running?
2. Which version of the mod should I be running?
-Dorian

bigguy

I personally am running SMF 1.1 RC3 and ad_mod_rc3_v2.zip

DorianJ

So just to clarify, 1.1 RC3 is a later version than 1.0.8, correct?
-Dorian