News:

Welcome to SMF Ads Support Forum

Main Menu
Coinbase

Can't run Ad mod

Started by virtualdave, August 25, 2006, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

virtualdave

I am running SMF 1.1 RC3 and have downloaded this version Ad Mod (ad_mod_rc3_v2.zip). At this address.
http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=255

I can upload it from my computer with the packgage manager but when I click "apply mod" I get the "You need to connect to FTP to chmod some files" message. I do that and then the package manager churns away and eventually I get a blank screen. If I open up a new browser window the forum is fine but the ad mod has not been installed. Tough to describe, can any one help?
Thanks
virtualdave

bigguy

I don't think this is a problem with the ad mod but a problem with the package manager. Have you installed other mods lately ??? Did they work fine. ???

EDIT: Are your files chmodded to 777. ???

virtualdave

I got a list of 6 files that needed to be chmod'ed somewhere and I did that.
Sources/ModSettings.php
Themes/default/index.template.php
Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php
Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php
Themes/default/Display.template.php
Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
Are there others?
virtualdave

bigguy

Well you could chmodd all of them to 777 it wouldn't really matter. I still think it's a problem with the package manager though.

jerm

Could you copy paste the exact error.

virtualdave

This is a new forum with only one member as it is not public yet. I started with the beta SMF1.1 RC2 Then last week upgraded it with this package, SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update. I don't recall any problems with the package manager at that first and only use of it, however I don't rule out that possibility.

There is no error message. This what I see in Browse Packages.

Mod Name Version 
1. SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update 1.0  [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
2. Ad Managment 2.0  [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete 

When I clikk on apply mod this is what I see.

Some of the files the package manager needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and using it to chmod or create the files and folders. Your FTP information may be temporarily cached for proper operation of the package manager.
FTP Server: Port:   
Username:   
Password:   
Local path to SMF:   

When I enter my ftp password the (my) computer sits and churns for a couple minutes and then goes to a blank white screen, browser window.
vd

virtualdave

Dosen't look like there is much to be happy about in this thread. Lots of solutions that don't work for most of the folks that try them. I tried the fixownership.php but got an error from that too. I'm about ready to go back to a SMF1.1.7 board. This one is not on the air and I can just rebuild it using the work I have for a model. This seems like a major problem with the way the package manager works based on the ammount of folks suffering from it. If you hear anything promising keep me in mind.
Thanks for trying
virtualdave

virtualdave

Another late night session trying to get somewhere with this problem. I did a fresh install of RC3, same thing. Tried the tool dosen't work. Tried all the "make a temp folder" variations dosen't work. Did the "phpinfo.php" and found that my server is not in "safe mode". I have a couple other possibilities to run down but they are over my head so I not to hopeful. This has gotten under my skin I'll probably keep it up till I explode or die from alchohol poisoning.
vd

jerm

You could post this message on the simplemachines.org website. Theres more support staff to answer your question :)

virtualdave

I have a couple notes in other threads on the Package Manager Issue. Thanks. I would be interested in reading some notes from you guys on doing a manual install of Ad Mod, and any hurdles I would have to jump to do it. I tried last night and encountered a couple problems. One was with the second bit of code that gets placed into the index.template.php file, another was with the Subs.php not finding an ads database. I think I could do it. I may have to become my own package manager.
vd

bigguy

It's not real hard to do it manually. It's just alot of trial and error.

virtualdave

I have been reading and searching and finally found a suggestion that worked for me. I just want to add it to the posiblities for anyone who finds themselves in my predicament. So here it is I hope it helps you too.
vd

I got some satisfaction today. I copied this and pasted it here to hopefully help the lost souls looking as I was for a solution to the package manager problem. don't know if this will help all but it worked for me and it was a (simple solution?)

Quote from: Richmedia on Yesterday at 05:18:50 AM
Guess what? The log out trick worked, I'm now able to uninstall the RC2 packages. Hopefully, I'll be able to reinstall them.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before, I sometimes tell our members to do exactly that, log out, log in!

I'd do a happy dance, 'cept I can't dance!

So wait.  Are u now able to install mods???  and if so, how did u log out?  Do you have to log out at specific point, like after downloading mod etc, or just log in then log out???

Well I just tried the log out solution and after reading 22+ pages of stuff I found one that worked. I uploaded the mod logged out, logged on and went to package manager and clicked apply mod. then logged out, I logged back on and went to package manager and hit apply mod again this time I entered my ftp password and it went through. There were a few more instructions that went fine. This was for the Ad Mod. I must have spent 12 hours looking for an answer to this here and on the mod support boards. I have other mods to load hopefully this will move them along too.
Many Thanks to bl968
vd

I have used this on three Mods sucessfully now. SIS,  Ad Mod and a biggie the Arcade Mod, no problems.
vd