News:

Welcome to SMF Ads Support Forum

Main Menu
Coinbase

SMF Ad Management reports

Started by greatlogix, January 31, 2008, 05:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatlogix

I am using two adsense units on the forum. Today I checked the reports and it says Hits 4107 and 4969. What is the meaning of 'Hits' here. Is it ad impression or ad hits/clicks? If it is ad hits than I am never paid a single penny from Google for these clicks. Please let me know what exactly is the hits

webfunkin

i had  the same question...

but i guess its the number of impressions....since you would have been paid if it would have been no of clicks...

Xiisign

If it means impressions then they should change that to say "impressions" Hits to me on an ad should be clicks. Because your ad could be shown 1,000,000 times but what would that matter if no one clicks on it to visit your sponsors...right?

SamNichols

true..hits doesn't mean impressions

amwebby

My hits amount is about 10 times the number of impressions showing in AdSense. I have ads turned off for one group, that accounts for 90% of my page impressions. Does this mean this mod is counting pages that don't show the ad?

vbgamer45

Hits will always be different than reported by adsense.  Adsense is loaded by javascript.
Bots and search engine spiders that view the page increase hits and adsense will not detect them since they do not load the javascript.
Like what I do please support me on https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45

amwebby

I've got most bots blocked in my robots file. In addition the page impressions recorded by Google analytics match those recorded by SMF. Which leaves me wondering how SMF Ads knows a page is being viewed by a particular user group as it still seems that SMF Ads counts pages rather than ads.

amwebby

BTW, I realise I'm a bit old school, having been on this interweb thingie since the JANet days but hits to me always meant the number of "hits" a page made on the server when putting a page together. Hence one page impression could contain several hits. Which leaves me more confused than ever as to what "hits" means in the SMF Ad mod Reports.  :-\

amwebby

OK. I've done some digging and installed Spiders and Googlebots and now I can see that spiders do get past my robots.txt file and are adding to the post count on my forum. It's not by much so I'm not too worried but my original question remains unanswered. Where does the "hits" figure in SMF Ads Reports come from? It appears to bear more relationship to my overall page impressions figure (including a membergroup who can't see ads and the aforementioned spiders) and no relationship to the number of page impressions AdSense is reporting. I actually want to sell ads direct based on ad impressions without having to use something like Doubleclick For Publishers but it seems I might have to use that as the figures in SMF Ads can't be verified. If the answer is "they are in Ad Seller Pro" that's fine, I just need to know.

vbgamer45

There is a function called showads in sources/LoadsAds.php anytime the ad code is called it auto updates the hits for the ad.  Bots/spiders, users without javascript, and partial page loads would always cause ad hits to be countered which would not be detected in adsense. And adsense only shows hits if an is displayed.

Now ad seller pro is different than ad management mod. I was working on ad seller pro before I took over ad management modification. They are two different code bases. Ad Seller Pro - allows people to buy ad placements on your website in addition to having just ad placements.
Like what I do please support me on https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45

amwebby

OK, so SMF Ads only counts ads that are requested, which would seem to obviate my membergroup whose pages don't request the ads. I get that spiders and those without javascript enabled would trigger a count but not be counted by AdSense. I've searched for a mod that would show me page impressions by membergroup but can't find one.

Presumably in Ad Seller Pro, which allows me to target ads by location and membergroup I can get more granularity in the stats. I'll take this question over to the Ad Seller Pro forum.